Fertilizers provides nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium for plant growth.
It refills the deficient nutrients in the soil.
Types Of Fertilizers For Plants
Fertilizers are of two types. They are:
Organic fertilizers which are also known as manure.
And inorganic fertilizers which are also known as chemical fertilizers and are toxic in nature.
- Organic fertilizers are made from excreta of cow, horse, pig, sheep, poultry etc.
- These are eco-friendly and can be easily made at home. For example, compost is organic fertilizer.
Types Of Organic Fertilizers
The list of organic fertilizers that can be made from household products are mentioned below:
Organic Liquid Fish Fertilizer
- Rotten fishes or waste which was produced when fishes are being cut is taken and fermented with equal quantity of jaggery in air tight container for a period of 30-40 days.
- Do not add water to the container.
- Place the container in dark place.
- After 30-40 days filter the fermented liquid and transfer it to another container and place it aside for 100 days.
- After 100 days dilute it in the ratio of 1:40 (1 part fermented liquid with 40 parts of water) and use it as a organic fertilizer for plant.
- Fish acts as a source of nitrogen and improves the nutritional value of the plant without any chemical fertilizers.
- The outer shell of prawns which cannot be consumed by human and will be thrown aside as the waste is rich in nutrients and enhances the plant growth.
- Make a small pit. Throw the prawn shells in that small pit and then cover it with layers of soil.
- After a few days it gets decomposed and converts into rich organic fertilizer.
- The excreta produced from cow, pig, horse, sheep and poultry are used as organic fertilizers.
- Either they will be decomposed in compost pits or gets dried with the help of sun light.
- Both decomposed and dried forms can be used as organic fertilizers.
Bone Meal Fertilizer:
- Bone meal is rich in phosphorus.
- Bones are obtained during meat processing of animals.
- Then they are streamed at high temperatures and then dried to remove the moisture in it.
- In the next stage they are powdered and used as organic fertilizer for plants.
Egg Shells For Plants:
- They provide calcium to your plants.
- Finely powder the egg shells and then supply to your plant.
- Dilute cow urine with water and use as both organic fertilizer and foliar spray.
- It helps in increasing the quality of the soil.
- Oil cakes are rich in nutrients.
- The cake obtained after the completion of oil extraction is used as organic fertilizer.
- Plants absorbs oil cakes more easily and effectively.
- Dried leaves provides nitrogen to the plant.
- Decompose dried leaves in compost bin and then provide to your plants as a organic fertilizer.
- Decompose vegetable scraps in compost bins and use them as organic fertilizer to bring down the nitrogen deficiency.
- Banana peels can also be decomposed and used as a organic fertilizer.
Neem Seed Cake:
- Dry the neem seeds and then powder it.
- Mix this powder with soil before plantation. So that, it helps in prevention of many root diseases.
Coconut Peat Organic Fertilizer:
- Coconut Peat is light in weight and rich in nutrients.
- Large number of people who grows plants in container mixes this coconut peat in the soil for proper drainage.
- Sea weed is the additional factor which is added to bring the balance between coco peat and soil for growing plants in containers.
- Coconut peat is unaffected by pests, many plant diseases and infections.
Saw Dust As Fertilizer:
- Saw dust is rich in carbon.
- Mix saw dust in specified quantities with soil before plantation.
- It is also used in mulching.
Peanut Shells As Fertilizer
- Peanut shells are rich in nutrients and are used as organic fertilizer.
- Finely powder the peanut shells and mix it with soil just like egg shells.
Coffee Powder As Fertilizer
- The residue after coffee brewing is used as a organic fertilizer.
- This residue is rich in nutrients that boosts the plant growth.
- The residue left after tea decoction is beneficial for plants.
- Before using it they should be decomposed in your compost bin.
Fermented Rice and Lentils Washed Water:
- Take rice washed or lentils washed water and ferment it.
- This is rich in essential nutrients required for the plant growth and can be used as organic fertilizer.
- Consider, 1 liter of fresh human urine in air tight container and keep aside for one week.
- Parallelly in another air tight container consider 2 liters of rice washed water and keep aside for one week.
- After, 1 week mix them in one container and place the container in sun light for 6-10 days.
- Later, it will convert into thick concentrated liquid. Then dilute it with water in the ratio of 1:10 (1 part of thick liquid with 10 parts water).
- This organic fertilizer boosts your plant growth and even improves the size of fruits and vegetables.
- Rice husk burnt in furnace in the absence of oxygen produces gray ash.
- This is very healthy for both soil and plant.
Image Source: Pixabay
Video Source: YouTube